Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and now is the time to gather up your family favorite recipes in preparation for this food filled day. Saving money on a family holiday is important, as any Black Friday shopper can agree. But this holiday season, you can also start learning to save significant money on your grocery bill, especially that large thanksgiving meal!
Maura White is the blog owner over at Happy Deal – Happy Day (http://happydealhappyday.com). Each week she updates store lists in our area with the best sales and coupons to use on everyday items. Whether you do most of your shopping at Wegmans, Walmart, Tops, Save-A-Lot or Target, you can find the best deals. You can also find ways to get free items at local drug stores like CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens! You won’t even need to search through the Sunday paper store fliers since all of that info is already on this website!
What’s even cooler is that you can also compare these store deals when you are out and about using your smartphone. There is a new grocery store money saving app called Favado (it’s free). It was officially released October 15th, 2013.
Here are some features you can find when you start using Favado:
• You can have store guides sent to your phone. All our favorite stores like Target, Tops, Wegmans, CVS, and more (choose from 65K store locations nationwide)
• Compare deals from each store for each weekly ad. (This will come in real handy price comparing for that Thanksgiving meal prep!)
• Create a shopping list and email it to yourself to use later and to create a list of printable coupons you need to print.
• Customize your preferences to include only the things you typically buy.
Maura is also the data contributor for the Wegmans deals list on the Favado app. It’s fun to know that a Livingston County resident is part of spreading money saving tips nationwide!
If you would like to try this free app, here are some steps to get started:
1. Sign up for Favado here http://fava.do/mgh – (it’s a free app!). You will need to type in your email address and your zip code so that Favado will know what stores are near you. Then, create a password as you’ll need to sign in once you download the app. Your screen will then say Thanks for Signing Up!
2. You’ll receive an email from Favado right away. Be sure to click inside the email to confirm.
3. Go to the app store in your SmartPhone and search for FAVADO. Install the app.
4. Launch the app and login with your email and password and you’re ready to get started.
There will be a brief tutorial to walk you through the features on Favado. Start by picking your favorite grocery store, make a list of the deals you want to take advantage of.
When it comes time to reflect on what you are thankful for this year, you can add “saving money on the Thanksgiving meal” to your list!