Visitors are in for a real treat this Halloween with a rare opportunity to view a special exhibit at the . Selections from the Halloween collection of long-time Fairport / Penfield resident John M. Fritsch will be on display during the entire month of October.
Fritsch began collecting Halloween related objects more than thirty years ago as an inexpensive hobby, picking up collectibles at flea markets for a couple of dollars each. Since that time, public interest in Halloween artifacts has escalated, forcing up the market value of most vintage collectibles and making it difficult to find, or afford, the more sought after pieces.
As with many baby-boomers, collecting gave Fritsch a chance to perpetuate his childhood love for Halloween. Currently, he owns a conglomeration of assorted Halloween items, ranging from present day commercialized memorabilia to pieces dating back to the early 1920’s.
Besides his expert knowledge in collecting, Fritsch has expanded his interest in Halloween to include composing Gothic soundtracks and writings on the subject. His works have been published in Trick or Treat Trader and Happy Halloween magazines. Expending a good deal of energy each year on preparing for All Hollow’s Eve, he is fondly known in his neighborhood as “The Halloween Guy”.
The Fairport Historical Museum, operated by the Perinton Historical Society, is located in the Village of Fairport at 18 Perrin Street. Regular museum hours are Sundays and Tuesdays from 2-4 p.m., Thursdays from 7-9 p.m., and Saturdays from 9:00-11:00 a.m. Admission and parking are free. Please visit our website,www.PerintonHistoricalSociety.org, for additional information.