Let’s make the season merry and bright for the whole community this year!
Shop Local Selfie Contest!Enter to win a $100.00 gift certificate to a participating small business advertiser of your choice!
*Winner will be notified by Dec. 16th. No purchase necessary to win. Please follow all COVID-19 guidelines.
Click! For many, that has become the sound of shopping. We make purchases with the click of our mouse and receive packages at our front door. Those packages often bring with them a complementary twinge of guilt for not shopping local. While the click may be convenient, haven’t we grown tired of staring at our front doors?
Shopping is local is more important than ever this year! Unique, local goods await in deliberately uncrowded shops which give you the space and time you need to browse. Shoppers can also choose the convenience of curbside pick-up for their community-friendly purchases, often with a “touchless” option. So, move over, Amazon! Local business owners, our friends and neighbors, are once again open and more convenient than ever.
Need a little more convincing? Check out these stats.
• Each dollar you spend purchasing from a local, independent business returns at least $0.65 to your local community, compared to the zero to $0.01 returned with an online retailer.
• Online retailers, which put a greater strain on roads, sewers and safety services, generate less revenue per sales dollar, often forcing local companies out of business. With fewer businesses to offset community costs, local tax burdens fall increasingly on community residents.
• Online retailers employ fewer people directly per sales dollar. For each $10M spent, independent retailers create 47 new local jobs, whereas online retailers create less than half as many.
• Displaced corporate businesses donate less than half as much per sales dollar to local non-profits, events and teams compared to small businesses. Online retailers donate even less.
• Finally, local businesses are much more likely to be customers of local service providers including accountants, wholesalers, farmers, lawyers, contractors, grocers, printers, plumbers, welders, electricians, and more!